- Lak Saviya Foundation is a registered charity organisation in Australia who focus on charity in Sri Lanka and Australia.
- Late in 2005 SBHS contacted Lak Saviya and asked that they identify a tsunami-affected school in Sri Lanka for us to assist financially and to also establish and maintain an ongoing relationship with.
- Representatives of Lak Saviya identified the Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya school as being a school in great need of financial assistance. The school is also delighted with the opportunity for students to establish a long-term relationship with SBHS students.
- Lak Saviya Foundation have guaranteed that 100% of our donation will go to the needy children of the Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya school in Sri Lanka.
- SBHS made an initial donation of $4000 to Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya and has continued to raise funds since.
Background Information on Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya
This school is close to the beach and is located in the area worst affected by the tsunami.
Fortunately the structural damages to the walls of the buildings were not very severe although roofs of the buildings were badly damaged. These have been subsequently repaired. During the tsunami the water level rose above the second storey and all equipment such as furniture, electrical appliances, water & sanitation systems were severely damaged or completely destroyed.
Currently, the school is run at the same premises with a minimum of facilities.
The school has approximately 250 girls, 290 boys and 30 teachers. It has classes from Grade 1 to Grade 11. The Principal is Mr Hector De Silva and the Deputy Principal is Mr Vijitha Mendis.
This school needs continuous support to upgrade the facilities of the school. A few NGOs offered their help and as a result the roof, the damaged boundary wall and the greenhouse have now been repaired. The school is managing its day to day affairs effectively with minimum available facilities.
Establishing a Link Between SBHS and Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya
The Principal of Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya is delighted to establish and maintain a long term relationship with SBHS. Once established, the internet facility would be an asset and will help to enhance the communication between two schools.
Accountability and Transparency of Donations
The LSF will be responsible for the accountability and transparency of all donations. LSF organised to purchase the items in Sri Lanka to minimise cost and transport and to hand items over to the Principal of the school. LSF also coordinates with the Principal to identify the details of the needs (such as the type of equipment, list of books for library etc) to ensure that they meet the exact requirements of the school. A member of LSF who was in Sri Lanka during
February/March 2006 purchased most of the items to minimise the cost and handed them over to the Principal personally.
Subsequent Improvements at Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya
Sydney Boys High School has subsequently worked to improve the facilities
and the quality of education at Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya. Donations by
SBHS have paid for additional English classes as well as full time IT and
Performing Arts teachers. In addition, donations have helped establish a school
band which performed for the first time in February 2012.
The Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya school hall
New School Band (February 2012)
The Kahawa Rathnasara Maha Vidyalaya performed for the first time in February
Student Visit (January 2012)
Student Lastih de Fonseka made a private visit and donation to the school in the 2011-12 holidays:
Computer Lab (April 2007)
One of the project items listed above is the furnishing of a small computer lab. This lab has now been installed and photos are below: