SYDNEY BOYS HIGH SCHOOL
Founded in October 1883, Sydney Boys High School is an academically selective high school for boys conducted by the NSW Department of Education and Communities.
|RESPONSIBLE TO:||The Principal
|REPORTS TO:||Head Teacher – Sport, Master in Charge and Coaching Coordinator|
The School is seeking suitably qualified and experienced coaches to assist with the Sports Program.
Sydney Boys High School is a member of the Athletic Association Great Public School of NSW (AAGPS) Sports Program. This program provides opportunities for School teams to play against other member schools in the following sports:
|Summer (Term 4 & 1): ||Basketball, Cricket, Rowing, Tennis, Rifle Shooting, Water Polo, Sailing, Swimming|
|Winter (Term 2 & 3):||Rugby, Football, Cross Country, Athletics, Rifle Shooting, Fencing, Volleyball|
Training sessions take place at the school or nearby venues on weekdays during allocated sport time (Years 10,11, 12 1:00-3:00pm Wednesdays) (Years 7, 8, 9 1:00-3:00pm Thursdays, before school (approx. 7:00 am – 8:30 am), after school (3.30 – 5:00 pm). Games are on a home/away basis at other schools requiring attendance on a Saturday. Coaches are expected to attend all training sessions and competition events/matches.
- Coaching Program
- In collaboration with the Head Teacher - Sport, Master in Charge and Coaching Coordinator of each sport, plan and implement a coaching program for the nominated sport and team to achieve short term and long term outcomes.
- Provide assistance in the selection of teams.
- Facilitate the skill development of team members with a range of skill levels to achieve performance outcomes.
- Assist in the planning and preparation of the team for competition ensuring students and parents are advised of game details and requirements in an efficient and timely manner.
- Application of School Sporting Policies & Guidelines
- Support and adhere to the School’s uniform policy for students.
- Work with coaching staff on matters related to the safe and efficient conduct of the program.
- Attend all program activities including coaches meetings, training sessions and games
- Liaise with the relevant Master in Charge and Coaching Coordinator responsible for providing reports on student performance, game results and other issues as required.
- Student Care
- Model exemplary behaviour reflective of the values and ethos of the School.
- Develop an effective working relationship and rapport with students.
5 Duty of Care
- Undertake responsibility, as a Coach, for the care of students.
- Qualifications & Experience
- A strong interest in one or more sports with appropriate game and team
building skills for coaching purposes.
- Attainment or currently working towards an appropriate coaching
- Refereeing experience desirable but not essential.
- A First Aid certificate is desirable but not essential.
- Student Focus
- A coaching style that promotes student inquiry and active engagement in
the learning process.
- A strong focus on achieving positive learning experiences and outcomes
for students, encouraging students to take opportunities to learn
- Demonstrated ability to care for students in a sensitive and
- Ability to articulate and generate enthusiasm for learning.
- The presentation of a professional, dedicated and inclusive attitude and
demeanour at all times.
- Capacity to operate as a collaborative and team orientated person in a
professional work environment.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Communication Skills
Well developed communication and interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on
building and maintaining quality relationships with all members of the
- Personal Characteristics
- Enthusiasm, initiative and a keen interest in the role.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt and operate effectively in a
demanding and changing environment.
- Working with Children Check
Application for a ‘Working with Children check’ for Child Related
Employment issued by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child
Guardian will be required for completion. (Applicants who do not possess this
but are willing to apply for the position, knowing they must satisfy
eligibility criteria, will be considered.)
Coaches Application Form
Please ensure the above form is completed and returned to:
Mr Mark Pavone
Sydney Boys High School
SURRY HILLS NSW 2010
Fax: (02) 9361 5410