Courses - A wide range of
challenging and stimulating topics in the junior years and elective
subjects in the senior years. In all work there is a strong emphasis on
Year 7 - Science topics are
Separating mixtures, Solids, Liquids and Gases, Classification, Cells,
Forces in Action, Planet Earth, the Solar System, Seeing and Hearing,
Core Science Skills and a student research project is given.
- Topics include Chemical reactions, plants, astronomy (done by
assignment), Atomic Structure, Fossils and Geological Time,
Electrostatics and Magnetism, Metals and Non-metals and Acids, Bases
Year 9 - Topics include Forces at Work,
Reproduction, The Body at War, It's a Material World, Chemical Energy,
Electric Circuits, Keeping an Eye on Light, Dynamic Earth, Following
Orders, Core Science Skills and a student research project is set.
Year 10 - Topics include Motion, Reproduction, Genetics, Chemical Interactions 2, Dynamic Earth, Evolution and a research assignment.
Year 11 & 12 - 2 Unit Biology, 2 Unit Chemistry, 2 Unit Physics.
- 7 well-equipped, refurbished laboratories.
- Interactive data projector facilities in all labs.
- Biological specimens, preserved microscope slides, light microscopes, flexi-cam.
- Geological kits, rock specimens.
- Electronic balances.
- Specialist science and educational computer software.
- Electronic, online and interactive textbook systems.
- Laboratories with computer research nooks.
- Excursions: Year 7 (Taronga Zoo), Year 8 (Australian Museum and the Botanical Gardens), Year 9 (Long Reef) and Year 10 (Physics is Fun to Luna Park Sydney).
- Whole school participation in the National Chemistry Competition, the National Science Competition and the National Analytical Chemical Competition (Titration).
- Participation in the Solar Challenge.
- Opportunity to participate in the Science Olympiads.